Friday 26 September 2014

26 sept 2014

Been working well - may even have finished the death chalice one. Dreamed of turning it upside down and when I did the images of Stafford and Simon apeared either side. That did it. I didnt have a relationship with the thing, just found it fascinating, so its a good resolution. The thought of it has sustained me; to be precise, the heft of it. I like the shape and weight of it. Nice to carry. Anyway, Im in Avignon and the thought of it is sustaining (though Im v glad I dont have photos - its spell would surely loosen.)
Begun the cigars and humidor, thats shaping well.
Here in Avignon till Sunday, to meet with Dick Allen from Farnham days. Hes shown me his drawings today, dense complex surface-driven studies - most interesting - and hes given me one I particularly like, which is generous of him. Interesting talk. He is attracted by the idea of the odilisque which goes unquestioned as hes a chap. He hires a model, dresses and bejewells her, works in 4 hour stretches. Plus takes photos which he uses. Introduces her at expos.
He thinks he has to do 5,000 hours drawing to perfect his technique and he may be right, seems a lot of time at our age in life to repeat yourself. But little by little he changes and develops; don't think I could work at that pace, I search for great leaps and sulk if I dont get them.
Last night dreapt I'd drawn on the walls of the appartment we are staying in, with oil pastel, wax crayon and charcoal. Impossible to wash off or paint over. Such a relief to wake up and discover it wasnt so! Mostly it was of crowds of people, nicely done, plus one abstract section. In my dream our landlady ( a blues singer called Kat) liked the stuff but was only being polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment