Monday 3 August 2015

o3 o8 2015, Monday

All my fears - terrors, even, - apparently ill-founded.

Drove off at 5.00am on the worst day for driving in the year but got to l'Isle-sur-Sorgue ahead of 11.00 when we were expected. Greeted enthusiastically. Ounouh charm personnified; his collegues Frederick and another (forgot name) ditto.

Speedily unpacked car and sent us off to breakfast.

When we got back - noonish - the show was hung. He'd chosen 10 out of the 20-odd we took and hung tham in amazing ways in relation to the other stuff - I was knocked out by it.

I'm with a ceramisist called Pierre Sgamma, whom I loved and a woman whose work I've seen before, she weaves plastic bags and makes beautiful shapes... can't remember her name (though I think shes been in the artists a suivre) and also Ounouhs whose work  is also wonderful. He trained in France, had a residency in Cardiff, studio in Lewisham - hes younger than me but we clearly have same processes.

Frederick and  Ounouh took us to a posh lunch - reserved table - and sent us off to our hotel in Cavillon, which by a happy accident (I took what was available on the busiest holiday day of the year) turned out to be lovely, just what we wanted. Rested and realised we were too tired to go back for the evening and the next day was also difficult. So said our goodbyes by text.

The deal is fantastic - must be shome mistake.
He sells the work and takes 40%. He thinks three are already sold.
He takes his 40% and uses it to buy my work. For his collection.

I said, how do you make a living??
He said that he does internal decor for the rich.

He offered advise on developing my ideas which was insightful and useful.

Still in some species of shock.







These sculptural ones are Ouonouhs and below is the gallery





No comments:

Post a Comment