Sunday 16 May 2021

16 05 2021

 The work has backed me into a corner. Went through some of the studies today and they're nice but going nowhere. Lots of rocks; lots of water. 

Remember when I got here - before responsibility for home and family struck - that I'd spend time sitting on a rock in the river, drawing. I knew hardly anyone and my french was slight so it was a focused time. Felt safe on the rock, no-one ever came down to the river there. It was disturbingly tidal on account of the hydro electric dam up stream but I learnt its rythms and timed my trips accordingly. Found one of my favorite fossils there, the one I take travelling when I have to leave these parts. 

Walked there this afternoon in the rain but it was too wet to reach. Slidy muddy wet and my feet were already soaked. Wandered to where the Faby reaches the Aude and spotted some great rocks I'd never clocked before but can't work out how to access them. Pondering this - and how to follow the Faby further - realised I was engaging in pyschogeography, a term and a practice I'd forgotten. Can it be pushed through time as well as distance? 

To follow the Faby will take me to Rouvenac and to cross the bridge there and go uphill will get me to the old lime mill and mine. Will see if Gracie is up for taking me there and from there, the other side of the bank where there is a track (if memory serves) which we can explore. It's tiring, not knowing what I'm looking for; feel the lack of method quite keenly. Pyschogeography for all its fogginess has seemed in the past to be quite rigorous if you are true to it, as the surrealists methods are, as any quest has to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment