Tuesday 18 May 2021

18 05 2021

 In desperation, started going through the racks and portfolios. Found decent paper with dreadful watercolours that I could use the back of. (Though two I really like; landscape with goats, so they stay.) And also three rolls of various vintage papers! I'd thought they'd been lost in the flood/move/other drama. Lovely to see them and unrolling and re-rolling really grounded me, bizarrely.  Can't face using them (one watermarked 1800) but know they are there.

Bought this stash in Hoylake, Liverpool, from an artstore closing down when I was catching my breath after the complete collapse of my last marriage. Had been wondering if I should change career. Coming across these papers, already vintage, seemed like a sign to continue. 

Also found a couple of sheets of a hand-made rag, nice, but saxe blue. No watermark. Stretched one - soaked - last night and attacked this morning using chalk and walnut ink.

And a roll of mulberry bark paper. Bought that in china town in London some years ago and found it too difficult for the project it had been intended for. Might be useful, its rather lovely and there's a lot of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment