Thursday 28 February 2013

1st March Friday 2013

It was 24th Jan last year that the photographer Yann came to do the years crop (discovered this  by reading this blog; useful info as anything dated after that hasn't been photographed) This means that I'm averaging 60 paintings (approx) a year, which leads to questions of what are others painters norms? Feel pedestrian.

Did nothing yesterday except mess up Rushtons portrait. Plan to knock it about today, if the surface is OK to work on - so much oil now -  and then, hey, Ophelia and the Heron - don't know why its such work except that I don't expect to get anything out of it that I haven't already got from the initial marks, hmm -
expect I'II just be sorting pix for the photographer.

Later, can barely touch the thing. Millais  worked 'for up to 11 hours a day, six days a week, over a five-month period in 1851' and that was just on the riverbank. Really don't know if I'm lazy or if this is normal or if despair is tiptoeing up behind me; the perennial chant, whats it for, who cares, and - a new one- when I die the whole lot will be binned.

Rushton portrait finished though, perhaps.

Later still; two reasons why Ophelia is hard; one is that it frightens me, the drowning woman: and two, that the composition is dull. All the action happens between 2 vertical lines and the rest is meaningless. 

And the Rushton portrait isn't finished, I want another sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment