Monday 6 February 2012

Feb 06 Monday

Snow has covered the skylights and the light in the studio is dim; the artificial light aint good with the painting I'm on (still Melusine)
Despite the cold and the snow, OB managed to get a model -Ian- and there were 4 of us drawing. I lacked focus and eventually decided to use that, doing several quickies without my glasses - far more successful than the rest. Used a 1954 watercolour paper by Hammermuhle which is no longer suited for watercolour, at least the way I use it - started by soaking the paper and then just had wet paper. Remembered the note-taking of the ancients and used it for pencil with just strokes of thin colour to indicate range of tones. That worked.
I have some fabulous and expensive watercolour paper which I am loathe to use and some inept watercolour paper which aint worth using. Lala. Next week will overcome my natural meanness and use the good stuff (depending on model -) Maybe I'II make small pieces of it, though the spirit shrieks in horror at the very idea. Or - and heres a thought - I'II go through the last few months and wash and re-stretch the failures.
Back to the shady cavern that used to be a studio now.


No comments:

Post a Comment