Saturday 4 February 2012

sat 04 feb

Got in a few hours this morning, beginning the Melusine pic. Bit of fun, I thought - carry on, see what happens. Afternoon got rather lost in confusion but did three hours this evening which were a delight. The painting overtook the drawing, became another thing and introduced me to different ideas. Now it seems to me that the central idea is of women's sexuality, concealed and discovered and understood to be revealed. Weird how things emerge. Taking it personally - being discovered, spied on as a young woman, revealing myself to lovers, the fear and trust involved, the horror implicit -not that I'm original in my sexuality but with the good old convent background a lot of repression had to be dealt with over the years. Its a nice vehicle anyway, the subject. Daresay there'll be changes before its finished.
Using the large canvas that I was uneasy about on account of the bad stretching. Because its bad I decided to paint withing the frame so I could cut and restretch if need be. Found that I had framed the drawing I'm using because I'd stretched the paper with passe par-tout and left marks and so drew within that. Nice echo. Crap craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment